Linda & Richard Eyre: Women and the priesthood in Mormon theology | Deseret News
There are many feminists out there and I'm not trying to offend anyone here. I just want to explain my view point. I found this article and I completely agree with and appreciate what it says. It talks about how many people believe that "equality" means "sameness" and this is simply not true. We can be equal and do different things. In fact, that is precisely how I believe God intended life to be.
Worthy men hold the priesthood and worthy women share in that priesthood when they become legally and lawfully wedded and sealed to their husbands. Both roles are equal in importance in the eyes of God but they are different. Women don't need to hold the priesthood to be in the same "ranks" as a man. Men cannot give birth, but that doesn't make them any less than a woman. Man and Woman share in the child bearing process because they support one another.
These two paragraphs from the article sum up this point really well and it says:
"In Mormon theology, neither a man nor a woman is a perfectible
entity. Neither can realize full potential alone or achieve the highest
heaven. Together, though, in a new kind of oneness defined by
interdependence rather than independence, they can form something
“exaltable.” Mormons believe that every person will, either here or in a
later sphere, have the opportunity for that oneness.
In such a union, striving for that kind of oneness
and that kind of salvation, two priesthoods would be redundant and
divisive. One priesthood, the power to bless and to call down divine
help, shared as indivisibly as the power of procreation, is
indispensable to the growth and progress we seek."
I hope you read this article with an open and understanding heart. I really enjoyed the article and I hope you will too. Have a wonderful week. Thanks for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment