Thursday, March 6, 2014

Don't let abuse be your noose

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/03/the-burden-was-removed?lang=eng&media=audio#listen=audio

This article is about a woman who was abused as a child and finally decided it was time to tell her tale. I really admired her courage. I know how hard it is to talk about things of this nature.

I am a firm believer that getting help and telling someone you trust about your problem is the best way to go. If you don't get it off your shoulders it could become a wedge in your future marriage. I loved the quote by Elder Richard G. Scott: "Healing may begin with a thoughtful bishop or stake president or a wise professional counselor. If you had a broken leg, you wouldn’t decide to fix it yourself. Serious abuse can also benefit from professional help. There are many ways to begin healing, but remember that a full cure comes through the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, our Master and Redeemer. Have faith that with effort His perfect, eternal, infinite Atonement can heal your suffering from the consequences of abuse."

I also think it is wise to talk to the person who abused you, if possible, and get the closure you need from that individual. Ask them your questions that have gone unanswered. They owe you whatever explanation you want from them. (At least that is my opinion.)

Don't continue to live your life with a secret burden of being abused. TELL SOMEONE! You deserve to have what the atonement can offer you. That is one of the very reasons why Christ suffered for us on the cross. Living your life hiding this secret will only bring you heartache and pain and no one deserves that. Receiving closure and letting go of that pain is one of the most rewarding things you will ever feel in life. It literally feels like a million pound backpack being lifted from your shoulders. It really is an incredible feeling.

One down side is that even if you are able to move on with your life and feel that burden lifted, I'm afraid that the memory may always stay with you. (At least that's how it works in my case.) Sometimes you may forgive but you won't ever forget and I think that's okay. There may be a lesson in that experience that you can learn from and watch for when you have your own children to raise and protect. As long as we don't harbor cold/hurtful feelings towards the person who hurt us I think we can survive the sometimes haunting memories.

I know that God wants us to be free from our burdens. All we have to do is ask and go knock on His door. He loves us so much and doesn't want us to always be in pain. He wants us to overcome our trials and be finishers of the faith. I know that he loves each and every one of us. I know that we can get the help and relief we need through Christ's atonement.

If you are ever afraid to tell someone in person your situation then get on your knees and tell your Heavenly Father about it first and ask him to lead you to the right source to receive help.

No comments:

Post a Comment