Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Post General Conference

General Conference weekend is always so uplifting, especially when you get to spend it with family. My husband and I had the opportunity to go and visit his Grandparents in South Jordan and enjoy watching conference with them and it was well worth the trip.

I just wanted to give you some highlights from conference. Let's begin

One of my personal favorites was given by Elder Quentin L. Cook and he talked about our "roots and branches." He talked a great deal about doing family history work and how important it is to reach down into our family roots. Doing family history is an excellent way to serve and it gives you the perfect excuse to go and attend the temple. If you would like to read/listen or watch his talk you can do so here: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/roots-and-branches?lang=eng

One popular talk occurred during Priesthood Session and it was given by Elder Dallin H. Oaks and he addressed a controversial topic of Priesthood. The reason it has been controversial is because many women feel that they should have the same opportunity as men to hold the priesthood. Elder Oaks boldly approached this topic in the perfect way. He talks about the Keys and Authority of the Priesthood. I think the most important part of this whole topic that we need to understand is what Elder Oaks says under section III: "Ultimately, all keys of the priesthood are held by the Lord Jesus Christ, whose priesthood it is. He is the one who determines what keys are delegated to mortals and how those keys will be used." If we can come to accept and understand that fact then I think things would be much easier. God is not trying to keep anything away from the women,, in fact he is trying to do the opposite in my opinion. He wants women to have a part in his priesthood and so he lets us by giving us callings and by allowing us to be married to worthy men who hold his Holy Priesthood. I could go on, but I think it is sufficient to say that I believe that God has his purposes and they are right. Men hold God's priesthood because that is the way it needs to be. If you want more info on this wonderful talk I highly encourage you to read/watch or listen to Elder Oaks' talk here: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/the-keys-and-authority-of-the-priesthood?lang=eng

Another wonderful talk was given by Brother Randall L. Ridd. He spoke about how we are the "Choice Generation." I think many of us have heard that before and we kind of just shake our heads and say ya ya ya... but Brother Ridd talked about how our generation has been blessed with so many choices and he says: "more choices means more opportunities." I really liked the perspective that he took on this topic. I enjoyed how he talked about technology and how it should be used to further the work of the Lord. I especially liked his analogy of how we plug in our phones every night and how we need to be plugging into the most important source of spiritual power, which is prayer and scripture study. Needless to say it was another excellent talk and you can read/watch or listen to it here: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/the-choice-generation?lang=eng
Well those are some of the highlights from this General Conference. If you missed out on some of the talks I encourage you to go back and listen to them. You can find a list of all the talks from every session here: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2014/04?cid=HPSU040614654&lang=eng 
 Thanks for reading and have a wonderful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment